STEM/STEAM education. As Executive Director of the Discovery of Flight Foundation, I lead project development and operations dedicated to preserving early aviation heritage and inspiring innovation through aircraft reproduction projects, formal and informal STEM education projects, and public events.
The arts belong in STEM - making it STEAM. I maintain that by drawing together the heritage and history of our innovations across all disciplines and vocations, we can more effectively inspire and educate the generations coming up. By sharing with them the totality of our past achievements, we can imbue our students with a profound sense of belonging to and contributing toward something higher than themselves - the greater good for all. I am actively developing connections between people and institutions who share this vision.
STEM Education Projects
- Education Director, Anacostia Delta: The Musical World of Danny Gatton K-12 curricula enhancement bringing virtuoso musicians of the Washington area into classrooms to interact with students and demonstrate the interconectedness of all musical styles.
- Author: To Swing Through the Sky. A new work for theater commissioned by George Mason University -— October 3, 2015, Hylton Performing Arts Center.
- STEM content developer/producer, Jazz at Lincoln Center, Ongoing. Project links high school math, physics, and band curricula through jazz.
- Developing cross-disciplinary program with Ft. Belvoir Elementary School, mapping Wright history with 4th grade mathematics curriculum with design-build-fly enrichment activities. Co-teaching program in beta tests. Ongoing.
- Performed K-8 schools assemblies throughout DC Metro area, incorporating slides, video, simulations, artifacts and remote controlled aircraft. Content demonstrates Wrights' practical application of grade-level mathematics in the invention of the airplane. Ongoing.
- Delivered lectures at venues nationwide about Wright brothers' history, including National Park Service sites, Museums, and associations. Ongoing.
- Trained docents at the National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center on interactive demonstration of reproduction Wright aircraft. Ongoing.
- Co-presented STEM teacher training program at Mutual Concerns of Aviation Museums Conference, 2011.
- Developed STEM teacher training program in collaboration with the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center, and Academy of Model Aeronautics. Led teacher-training workshops, 2008-2010.
- Collaborated with Fairfax Network on Flight School educational TV series. 11.8 million student subscribers in nationwide audience per episode. 2009.
- Developed Centennial commemoration programs in collaboration with the United States Army for the birth of Military Aviation, 2008.
- Coordinated with the National Museum of the United States Army and co-led fundraising efforts for acquisition of reproduction 1908 Wright Military Flyer. 2008.
Website, all photographs and text © Glenshaw Creative, Inc., 2016